Vancouver, WA Bicycle Parking Design Standards
Type: Municipal Code
Status: Adopted via ordinance on 1/26/04
Source File: Click here
Chapter 20.945 PARKING AND LOADING
Section 20.945.050 Bicycle Parking Design Standards.
A. Standards for all bicycle parking. Any bicycle parking implemented under this section must meet the following standards:
- 1. Bicycle parking must be provided at the ground level, and may be provided in floor, or wall racks that must hold bicycles securely by the means of the frame. Bicycles may be tipped vertically for storage, but not hung above the ground. If the bicycle parking is placed in the public right-of-way, it shall not obstruct pedestrian walkways and shall meet all of the requirements outlined in obtainment of the street use permit.
- 2. Where required bicycle parking is provided with racks, the racks must meet the following standards:
- a. The parking spaces shall be at least 2’ wide and 6’ long with an overhead clearance of at least 7’, and with a 5’ access aisle;
- b. The rack must hold the bicycle securely by means of the frame. The frame must be able to be supported so that the bicycle cannot be pushed or fall to one side in a manner that will damage the wheels;
- c. The bicycle frame and one wheel can be locked to the rack with a high-security, U-shaped shackle lock if both wheels are left on the bicycle;
- d. The rack must be securely anchored with theft-resistant hardware.
- 3. Where bicycle parking is provided with lockers, such lockers must meet the following standards:
- a. An area of at least 6’ of horizontal distance shall be provided around the entrance of each locker that is free from obstructions, an overhead clearance of at least 7’, and with a 5’ access aisle; and
- b. The lockers must be securely anchored.
B. Bicycle parking signing. Entry and directional signs shall be provided by the property owner if bicycle parking facilities are not directly visible and obvious from the public right-of-way. The signs shall be used to properly direct bicyclists from the public right-of-way to the bicycle parking facilities.
C. Bicycle rack maintenance. The property owner of a site shall have a continuing obligation to properly maintain any bicycle parking facilities on their property. The City of Vancouver will maintain any bicycle parking facilities that are in the public right-of-way.
D. Parking in mixed-use projects. Bicycle parking for multiple uses may be clustered in one or several locations, and shall meet all other requirements for bicycle parking. For buildings with multiple entrances, bicycle racks should be distributed proportionately at and visible from the various public entrances. Bicycle parking lockers should be located adjacent to an employee entrance.