Taos, NM Prohibiting Smoking in Any Indoor Workplace
Status: Adopted on 7/17/07
RESOLUTION NO. 07-54
A RESOLUTION OF THE TOWN OF TAOS IMPLEMENTING THE PROVISIONS OF TOWN ORDINANCE 07-11, PROHIBITING SMOKING IN ANY INDOOR WORKPLACE PURSUANT TO THE DEE JOHNSON CLEAN INDOOR ACT
WHEREAS, the Town of Taos adopted Ordinance 07-11, an Ordinance which implemented the Dee Johnson Clean Indoor Act;
WHEREAS, Town of Taos Ordinance 07-11 identified certain indoor workplaces; public places; and other locations where smoking is prohibited; and
WHEREAS, Town of Taos offices and buildings are those identified as indoor workplaces subject to Ordinance 07-11; and
WHEREAS, the Town Council wishes to implement policies and procedures for implementing Ordinance 07-11.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the Town Council that the attached Safety Policy 07-01 be hereby adopted by the Town of Taos.
Safety Policy 07-01
A Policy of the Town of Taos implementing Ordinance 07-11, an Ordinance prohibiting smoking in any indoor workplace pursuant to the Dee Johnson Clean Indoor Act.
It shall be the policy of the Town of Taos that:
1. Smoking in Town Buildings is prohibited in any indoor workplace; in any public place; in buses or other means of public transit not specifically exempted pursuant to the Dee Johnson Clean Indoor Act.
2. Smoking is prohibited near entrances, windows and ventilation systems of all Town Buildings where smoking is prohibited by the Dee Johnson Clean Indoor Act.
3. Smoking may be permitted in designated outdoor smoking areas, identified by the Town of Taos Safety and Risk Coordinator. Such areas shall be designated so as to prevent secondhand smoke from entering the indoor workplace or indoor public place and shall be a minimum of 25 feet from any entrance. Employees or members of the general public shall not be required to walk through the smoking area to gain entrance to the indoor workplace or indoor public place.
4. For each indoor workplace where smoking is prohibited pursuant to the Dee Johnson Clean Indoor Act, a "NO SMOKING" sign shall be posted where it is clear, conspicuous and easily legible at each public entrance.
5. For each designated outdoor smoking area, a "SMOKING PERMITTED" sign shall be posted where it is clear, conspicuous and easily legible.
6. The Town shall post this written policy in Town Buildings subject to this policy.
7. Violations of this policy by Town employees may result in discipline as described in the Town Personnel Ordinance.