Stanford University, CA Sustainable Dining
Stanford Dining is passionate about protecting our global and local resources. We focus on continually minimizing environmental impacts in all areas of our business--from purchasing our food to managing our waste.
GREEN BUSINESS CERTIFIED
In September 2004, Stanford University received Santa Clara County 's Green Business Certification. Through Green Certification, the county recognizes that Stanford University , with the major contribution of Stanford Dining's residential dining halls and campus café operations, embraces cooperative solutions that protect the vast economic and environmental resources with which our community is blessed. Through this program, it is recognized that Stanford University, Stanford Dining and Santa Clara County have partnered together to support continued environmental improvement. By becoming Green Certified, Stanford Dining enforces and promises to continue:
- Compliance with all applicable environmental regulations
- Conservation of energy, water, and other resources
- Implementation of sound environmental practices that help prevent unnecessary pollution and waste generation
- Environmentally responsible practices with other businesses in our community
WORK WITH ENVIRONMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS
Stanford Dining works closely with student environmental groups; we listen to their feedback and work together to preserve our global resources. We also adhere to the five "R's" of Peninsula Sanitary Services, Inc.: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, buy Recycled, and Rot.
- We are continually working with PSSI to develop manageable and effective recycling programs at all Stanford Dining facilities.
- Stanford Dining uses reusable tableware in all dining commons to reduce the amount of disposables; The Marketplace at Wilbur uses less than 5% disposable products!
- When disposables are necessary, PSSI supports Stanford Dining's efforts to use products made from recyclable materials that can be easily recycled again.
- Stanford Dining is piloting a composting program at The Marketplace at Wilbur - we separate food waste and deliver this compost to local farmers.
WORK WITH LOCAL FARMERS
Stanford Dining is constantly increasing organic produce purchases at our residential dining locations. Here at Stanford Dining, we negotiate with local farmers to keep our costs down while still providing high quality organic produce.