Santa Monica, CA Addresses Climate Change
Status: In effect
Ten Ways Santa Monica is Working to Address Climate Change
1. 100% Renewable Electricity – We were the first city in the U.S. to purchase green power for all of our municipal electricity needs.
2. Powered by the Sun – More than 300KW of solar electric capacity has been installed community-wide.
3. Energy on Our Terms – The Community Energy Independence Initiative, recently passed by Council, incorporates energy efficiency and solar installations community-wide. This could help Santa Monica meet all of its energy needs with locally produced green power.
4. Going Alternative – More than 80% of the municipal fleet is fueled with cleaner and more sustainable fuel alternatives: electric, natural gas, hydrogen, biodiesel, and gas-electric hybrids.
5. Building Green – We have the most LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified buildings per capita of any city in the U.S. Green buildings reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions while promoting healthy working & living environments.
6. Community Efficiency Tune-Ups – Free energy efficiency consultations given to qualified participants have reduced the amount of energy used by small businesses and residents.
7. Peak Program – Through our Community Energy Partnership we‘ve given 4th and 7th graders energy efficiency tools to use at home.
8. Cool Roofs – The application of cool roof technology on municipal buildings reduces energy consumption and helps reduce the urban heat island effect.
9. Waste Diversion – Community-wide participation in recycling has contributed to a 67% waste diversion rate! This has helped us achieve a 36% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions in the waste sector.
10. How Are We Doing? – Resource efficiency, green power purchases and alternative energy installations have reduced Santa Monica’s greenhouse gas emissions by 1% below 1990 levels.
For more information visit us on the web at www.smepd.org or call (310) 458-2213