Rutgers University, NJ Committee to Advance Our Common Purposes
Status: Established in 1987
Source File: http://studentaffairs.rutgers.edu/ctaocp.html
Founded in 1987, the Committee To Advance Our Common Purposes champions our individual and collective humanity and respect for our differences. The Committee, reporting to the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, is committed to fostering intercultural relations while reducing acts of prejudice and bias. Since its founding in 1987 the Committee has championed the values which celebrate our differences as humanity while advancing our common purposes as a community. True to this mission, the Committee comprises a diverse representation of faculty, staff, students, and community members from the Camden, Newark, and New Brunswick Campuses. Among its goals are to:
- foster inter-cultural dialogue and relations across diverse people, campuses and communities
- promote the reduction of prejudice, hate and bias crimes
- celebrate the distinctness of cultures and vast richness of diversity through out Rutgers University
- enhance the ties that bind 'our common purposes' between Rutgers University and community
The Committee's goal of addressing issues that relate to fostering diversity is reflected in the many programs it sponsors. It continues to highlight the significance of diversity in the areas of: curriculum, community centered programs, education and training, campus climate research, grant supported programs, differential learning, national teleconference issue oriented programs, week long celebrations, and recognition for commitment to diversity. The committee continually seeks to develop innovative programs to advance our common purposes.
To provide services and programs that engage students in active learning, build a supportive and inclusive community, support the emotional growth and personal development of students, and make a positive contribution to the quality of student life.
Students graduate from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey with diverse intellectual and cultural competencies distinguished by character and integrity with a vision for leadership in the service of humanity.
- Provide a wide range of services and programs to foster students' intellectual, personal and professional development.
- Promote a university environment enriched by diversity which is civil, respectful and supportive of all people.
- Ensure the health and well-being of all members of the Rutgers community.
- Provide support for students with special needs or circumstances.
- Coordinate the development of policies and standards to ensure a campus climate that is socially and academically conducive to student learning and growth, and the faculty, staff, alumni, family and friends who nurture them.
- Provide information which is accessible in various formats to all university constituents.