Northbrook, IL Green Build Incentive Program
The built environment has a large impact on Village residents through resource consumption, energy use, and effects on health. In light of this, the Village of Northbrook has established a program in conjunction with the LEED rating system to promote Green building techniques in public and private sector construction projects.
What is LEED?
The U.S. Green Building Council (“USGBC”), an organization comprised of the nation’s foremost leaders from the building industry, is committed to promoting the development of buildings that are environmentally responsible, profitable and healthy places to live and work. To this end, the USGBC has developed the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (“LEED”) Green Building Rating Systems, which are performance‐oriented rating systems for both new construction and existing buildings based on generally accepted energy and environmental principles.
To implement this Green Building Initiative, the Village will use the LEED rating system (system accepting project applications, as determined at the time of commencement of building design) to distinguish different levels of sustainability in construction projects. In turn, for building green, there will be a rebate for Covered Permit Fees (permits issued by the Building & Development Department for new buildings, additions, demolitions, alterations and site work) based on the LEED rating of the project.
Consider being a pioneer for the Green Building Initiative! The first of each of the following project categories to attain a LEED “Certified” rating or higher shall receive a 100% refund of all Covered Permit fees!
- (A) newly constructed commercial building,
- (B) newly constructed institutional building,
- (C) newly constructed residential building, and
- (D) alteration of an existing building, regardless of the use of the property.
Process and Incentives
1. Submit an application for enrollment into the Green Building Initiative simultaneously with an application for Permit. **NO fee for application** 2. The Green Building Official will review all applications. If the Official determines that the application is complete, you will be notified that your project is enrolled in the Green Building Initiative and all affected departments will be noticed. 3. After receiving notice that a Project has been enrolled in the Green Building Initiative, the Department of Building & Development shall prioritize the enrolled Project over all other Projects not enrolled in the Green Building Initiative. 4. Upon completion of the project and obtaining your certification from the USGBC, your permit fees will be refunded based on the level of certification, (or refunded 100% if you are the first in that category to receive certification) by submitting proof of your certificate.
Enrolled Projects shall be processed in the order they were received.
Each Project enrolled in the Green Building Initiative will receive the following public recognition:
- 1. permission to include a statement of enrollment in the Green Building Initiative on construction signs and marketing materials for the enrolled Project; and
- 2. a featured mention of the Project on a dedicated section of the Village website and monthly newsletter promoting the Green Building Initiative.