Meredith, NH Recycling
Status: In Effect
Source File: (Missing)
SOLID WASTE DIVISION:
Operates a complete recycling center and transfer station for residents of the towns of Meredith and Center Harbor (see below for complete set of rules and regulations). They also operate a recycling store where people can bring in good used items that are sold at a nominal cost, and operate a glass crushing machine that was funded in part through a grant from New Hampshire The Beautiful; the crushed glass is used for roadbeds, which not only serves to recycle the glass but also saves on gravel costs for the town.
SOLID WASTE FACILITY
Serving the towns of Meredith and Center Harbor, New Hampshire Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. daily closed Wednesdays and holidays
- Unauthorized disposal in all areas is prohibited during unscheduled hours
- A properly authorized facility use permit must be affixed to the vehicle or a valid facility coupon must be presented in order to use the facility
- Violators will be actively prosecuted per solid waste ordinance
- Trash is subject to inspection at any time by the facility attendants
The Selectmen of Center Harbor and Meredith have increased the areas recycling effort not only to reduce trash disposal costs but also to sell and reuse raw materials. A major benefit of recycling is the money saved resulting from not having to burn, landfill, or transfer these materials. Users of the Solid Waste Facility are required by local ordinances to separate recyclable materials from disposable trash as outlined below. Trash is subject to inspection at any time by the facility attendants. Failure to comply with the local recycling ordinances could result in not only the loss of facility use but also the unexpected payment of a monetary fee. You are encouraged to ask for assistance from the facility attendants. They are there to answer your questions and assist you.
The following is an alphabetical list of recyclable materials that are accepted for disposal at the Solid Waste Facility:
- ALUMINUM FOIL , BATTERIES, BRUSH, CANS, CLOTHING, CORRUGATED CARDBOARD , CONSTRUCTION/DEMOLITION MATERIALS , GLASS - BROWN, CLEAR, & GREEN, HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES/WHITE GOODS , LEAVES/YARD WASTE , MATTRESSES/BOX SPRINGS,METALS, NEWSPAPER, PAPER, PLASTICS , SHEET ROCK , SHINGLES, TIRES, WASTE OIL, WATER BASED PAINT. For additional information, please see detailed brochure.
ANNUAL CLEAN UP WEEKEND - Public Works sponsors an Annual Clean-Up Weekend for Meredith residents and taxpayers each Spring. Dates to be announced. There will be no curbside pickup; items must be transported to the Facility by the property owner/resident. Special fee schedules will apply only to the Annual Clean Up Weekend.
The Town asks each of you for your cooperation in complying with the regulations and recycling effort. The Town will not be able to please everyone with regard to permits, special needs and circumstance of regulations; however, for the benefit of all, will try to provide the best service for the most people at the least possible cost. Thank you.
The attendants could be cutting light iron #1 and some light iron #3 to required 4' lengths by ordinance for a fee. Please see the attendant for current fees and information at the Transfer Station.
CURRENT EXCLUSION LIST
The Town of Meredith currently does not accept the following items:
- Oil based paints and varnishes (see Household Hazardous Waste Day)
- Gas tanks
- Automobiles, engines
- Closed containers
- Barrels and drums with fluid or hazardous waste
- Scrap metals exceeding 4' lengths
- Hazardous waste (see Household Hazardous Waste Day)
FEES AND PERMITS:
Meredith and Center Harbor citizens may use the Solid Waste Facility by permit. Residential and commercial applicants from permits must be in one of the three categories listed below and have a vehicle registration in his/her name or Meredith/Center Harbor business names. Please bring in your registration when you apply for a decal.