Macalester College, MN Campus Environmental Issues Committee
Status: Adopted on 9/28/04
The mission of the Campus Environmental Issues Committee is to gather and facilitate coordination of the environmental expertise and advocacy at Macalester College, to provide accurate information regarding the environmental impacts of college decisions, and to recommend College policies and practices which best reflect the commitment to an environmentally sustainable world.
The Committee shall pursue this mission in the following directions:
1. Evaluate and suggest additions to College efforts to increase environmental awareness at the campus, city, state, national, and international levels.
2. Draft policy recommendations and provide accurate information to the President and College community in order to promote and ensure conservation of resources, energy efficiency, waste reduction and recycling, emission reduction, reliance on renewable energy sources and resources, healthy and safe environmental practices, and sustainable operation of the College.
3. Participate in long-range environmental planning for the renovation and construction of College facilities and the stewardship of the Katharine Ordway Natural History Study Area.
4. Respond to requests by College officials or institutions for assistance in ecological decision-making.
5. Assist in the implementation of the Talloires Declaration.
6. Regularly conduct or oversee comprehensive audits of the environmental impact of College policies and practices, and share results with the College community.
7. Facilitate projects to promote environmental awareness and increase the environmental sustainability of the College and raise awareness of exemplary projects.
8. Research new environmental ideas and evaluate policies of other institutions to utilize the best practices and technology for environmental benefit.
9. Promote the active engagement of the College community in civic questions of environmental concern.