Lane County, OR Nuclear Free Zone
Type: County Code
Status: Updated on 7/23/02
This chapter shall be known as the Lane County Nuclear Free Zone.
17.105 Purpose and Findings.
The purpose of this chapter is to establish Lane County as a Nuclear Free Zone in which work on nuclear weapons is prohibited. The people of Lane County find that the presence of nuclear weapons facilities within Lane County is in direct conflict with the maintenance of the County's public health, safety, morals, economic well-being and general welfare.
For the purpose of this chapter, the following words and phrases shall mean:
- Component. Any device that is specially manufactured to be installed in a nuclear weapon.
- Direct Activities of the Federal Government. Actions of the federal government or any agency thereof, but excluding actions of independent contractors.
- Nuclear Weapon. Any bomb or warhead, the purpose of which is used as a weapon, weapon prototype or weapon test device, the intended detonation of which results from the energy released by fission or fusion reactions involving atomic nuclei.
- Person. A natural person, corporation, institution or other entity but does not include a government or any political subdivision or agency thereof.
17.115 Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons Work.
(1) No person shall knowingly design, develop, manufacture, produce, test, maintain or store nuclear weapons or their components within the County.
(2) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit:
(a) Basic research
(b) Direct activities of the federal government.
Violation of this chapter shall be punishable by a fine of a minimum of $50 to a maximum $750. Each day of the violation shall be considered a separate violation.