Illinois State University Integrated Pest Management Program

From Green Policy
Jump to: navigation, search

Type: Program

Status: Ongoing

Source File:


At ISU several methods of lawn care pest management are used based on the location, use, and needs of the campus. Because of our size and diverse usage, no one management program can be used for the entire campus. We are strong believers in using an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program for control of pests on campus and have been for almost two decades.

IPM can best be defined as a pest control program that uses several types of control methods that have little effect on man, non-target organisms, and the environment while keeping pests from reaching an economic injury level. The goal of IPM is to use a balance of various control techniques rather than relying solely on the use of pesticides. These include scouting to identify pests, manual removal of pests where appropriate, and establishing a tolerance threshold for pests. The proper and judicious use of pesticides is also part of the IPM approach.

On the campus of Illinois State University an IPM program is used on approximately 70% of the campus. The other 30% of campus which is treated as high maintenance areas, like the Athletic Fields, pesticides are used in different degrees depending on use and time of year.

Grounds Management made the decision several years ago not to use any organophosphate insecticides for exterior turf management on the campus.

Personal tools

Daily Green Stories
About Our Network
Navigate GreenPolicy
Hot Times
Climate Action Plans 360
GreenPolicy360 in Focus
Going Green
Global Green New Deal
Green Education
Relational Eco-Politics
Biodiversity, Protecting Life
New Visions of Security
Strategic Demands
'Planetary Health Pledge'
Global Food Revolution
Countries & Maps
Digital 360
Fact-Checking, 'Facts Count'
Data, Intelligence, Science
GreenPolicy360 & Science
Climate Denial / Misinfo
GreenPolicy Reviews
Envir Legis Info (U.S.)
Envir-Climate Laws (U.S.)
Trump Era Enviro-Rollbacks
Wiki Ballotpedia (U.S.)
Wiki Politics (U.S.)
Wikimedia Platform
Green News/Dailies
Green News Services (En)
Green Zines (En)
Green Lists @Wikipedia
Climate Action UN News
Climate Agreement / INDCs
Wikipedia on Climate
GrnNews Reddit Daily
Climate Current Metrics
Climate Historic Studies
Climate Change - MIT
Climate Change - NASA
Copernicus Programme
EcoInternet Search Engine
Ecosia Search Engine
Identify Nature's Species