Bloomington, IN Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Commission
Type: Municipal Code
Status: Adopted via ordinance in 1989
Source File: Click here
Title 2 ADMINISTRATION AND PERSONNEL
Chapter 2.12 BOARDS, COMMISSIONS AND COUNCILS
2.12.080 Bloomington Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Commission.
(1) Purpose. The purpose of this commission is to promote and encourage bicycling, walking and running in a safe and efficient manner in the City of Bloomington for the purpose of health, recreation and transportation.
(2) Appointments. The commission shall consist of seven members appointed in the following manner:
- (A) The Mayor shall make four appointments. Preference for two of those four appointments will be given one member from The Bloomington Bicycle Club Inc. and one member from The Bloomington Track Club Inc. The above named organizations shall submit a list of at least three names to the Mayor for consideration.
- (B) The Common Council shall make three appointments. Preference for one of those three appointments will be given to one member from The Indiana University Student Association. The above named organization shall submit a list of at least three names to the Common Council for consideration.
(3) Terms. The initial terms of the members shall be staggered. All subsequent terms shall be for two years.
(4) Removal. Members may be removed for cause by the Mayor or Common Council. “Cause” shall include, but not be limited to, failure to attend three consecutive regularly scheduled OR four regularly scheduled commission meetings within a twelve-month period. The commissioner shall have the right to submit in writing any extenuating circumstances to the Mayor or Common Council before the formal decision to remove is reached. However, acceptance of extenuating circumstances puts the Commissioner on notice that further excessive absenteeism will result in removal.
(5) Meetings. The Commission shall meet at times and places as agreed on by the Commission and shall advertise those meeting times and places in accordance with the law. In any event the Commissioner shall meet no less than six times per calendar year.
(6) Duties. The duties of this commission shall be as follows:
- (A) To serve as a citizens forum for discussion and recommendation of improvement to existing facilities and planning of new projects concerning safe access for cyclists, pedestrians and runners;
- (B) To prepare reports and recommendations to the Mayor, Common Council, Plan Commission and Public Works Department as needed, concerning the needs of cyclists, pedestrians and runners within the City;
- (C) To foster and develop safety programs for cyclists, pedestrians and runners;
- (D) To encourage the hosting of cycling, walking and running events conducted in a safe manner which will attract visitors from outside of the City.