Alaska Pacific University Sustainability Committee
From Green Policy
Source File: http://alaskapacific.edu/
- The vision of the APU Standing Committee on Sustainability is to create a working and learning environment where we are consciousness of our day-to- day impacts on the environment and progressively work to minimize those impacts using the intellectual and organizational capital of the campus community.
- The mission of the APU Standing Committee on Sustainability is to gather and facilitate coordination of the environmental expertise and advocacy at Alaska Pacific University, to provide accurate information regarding the environmental impacts of University decisions, and to recommend University policies and practices which best reflect the commitment to an environmentally sustainable world.
The Committee shall further this mission in the following directions:
- 1. Evaluate and suggest additions to APU efforts to increase environmental awareness at the campus, city, state, national, and international levels.
- 2. Draft policy recommendations and provide accurate information to the President and University community in order to promote and ensure conservation of resources, energy efficiency, waste reduction and recycling, emission reduction, reliance on renewable energy sources and resources, healthy and safe environmental practices and work environments, and sustainable operation of the University.
- 3. Coordinate collaboration and information
- 4. Participate in long-range environmental planning for the renovation and construction of University facilities and the stewardship of the Kellogg Farm and the APU main campus green areas.
- 5. Respond to requests by University officials or institutions for assistance in ecological decision-making.
- 6. Assist in the implementation of the Talloires Declaration.
- 7. Regularly conduct or oversee comprehensive audits of the environmental impact of University policies and practices as active learning projects where feasible within the curriculum, and share results with the University community.
- 8. Facilitate projects to promote environmental awareness and increase the environmental sustainability of the University and raise awareness of exemplary projects.
- 9. Research new environmental ideas and evaluate policies of other institutions to utilize the best practices and technology for environmental benefit.
- 10. Promote the active engagement of the University community in civic questions of environmental concern.